6 Considerations When Looking Into Drug Rehab
When it is time to get help for that loved who is struggling from alcohol or drug addiction, it can be a daunting task. Even when they want to get help, where is the best place to send them? Programs can vary greatly depending on their models and philosophies. One of the first steps is to get educated and some understanding about addiction treatment programs. This page takes a look at six things to consider when seeking alcohol and drug rehab. The purpose is to provide insight into what approaches of care would best meet the needs of your loved one.
- 12-Step vs. Non A good number of treatment facilities are based in the 12-step program. The 12-steps have been around for well over seventy years and have become a standard for recovery from substance use. 12-step programs are primarily religiously or spiritually based. For individuals who struggle with these types of concepts, perhaps a non 12-step approach would be more fitting. Many people without religious affiliation and belief can still benefit from a traditional 12-step model. Similarly a non 12-step program can help someone who is religious. The decision should be made on what would benefit the individual most.
- Inpatient (Residential) or Outpatient Treatment This can be a difficult decision. Outpatient care allows the individual to maintain a normal life, and not have to leave work or home. The setback of outpatient treatment is the fact that the environment in not controlled. The individual is still exposed to many of the factors and elements that can lead to addiction and abuse. Primarily inpatient or residential facility is what is recommended. Residential treatment provides a controlled environment and typically personalized care. Inpatient or residential care is usually recommended for individuals who are dealing with severe addiction struggles and for those in need of a dual diagnosis program.
- Considering the Cost The ranged cost of drug treatment varies on the provider. Now one of the things that can keep individuals from getting the help they need is the financial aspects. Recent changes have been made to health care laws and insurance companies now provide benefits for detox and treatment costs. The law requires they do so to the same extent as other medical or surgical procedures. Because of this, more individuals are finding they can admit into more reputable programs and rehabilitation facilities. Usually you will find with more established facilities the advantages of higher level therapists and a broader spectrum of therapeutic programming.
- Length of Stay In considering a residential facility, you should also consider the amount of time needed for rehabilitation. Studies have shown that lengthier programs statistically yield better outcomes. There are programs that offer a few weeks, and there are programs that offer lengthier stays. You will find that many providers focus more on a month-by-month program. This allows for a monthly decision based on progress. Some programs may not offer extended inpatient care. This is something to consider when dealing with severe cases of addiction, when a lengthier treatment stay would be more beneficial.
- Family Involvement Addiction is something that does not solely affect the individual. All that are immediately influenced by the addict can suffer in some measure. Many drug rehab programs out there utilize a family involvement to therapy. This has many purposes. First it educates the family on the nature of what addiction is and what it does. Secondly, it allows the family to develop skills for supporting their loved one after rehab is completed. Lastly, it allows for therapy and helping the family to clear up any problems that can be conflicts in the home. In considering a drug rehab program, such family involvement can be a strong means of support.
- Accreditation and Certification It has been in the news recently about drug and alcohol treatment centers being shut down because they were operating without proper licensure. Many states have laws regarding licensure when it comes to addiction programs. This varies by state. Accreditation is a good measure when it comes to judging the licensure of the treatment facility. Health care accreditation is given to providers that qualify to offer health care/medical services. Few rehabilitation facilities are health care accredited. A health care accreditation is a solid standard for determining the validity of the program. In considering addiction treatment, one should always look to programs that are properly licensed and certified.
It can be a difficult decision when deciding on the right program. Taking into consideration some of the things listed above can be a help. When talking to a treatment center do not be afraid to ask questions regarding the program and what is offered. Depending on your loved ones needs, you can find the best possible treatment for them, when you understand what you are looking for. This information was provided by Cirque Lodge in Sundance Utah. The information is to help those in need of addiction treatment to find the drug rehabilitation they are looking for.